Day of Caring is Friday, June 22, 2018
Our Annual Day of Caring event will take place Friday, June 22, 2018 throughout DeKalb County. The goal of this event is to connect homeowners in need with volunteers ready to help complete projects for the overall benefit of an improved community. Our event is fully funded by sponsorships from strong community leaders, which means project expenses are covered by United Way.
Each year our event grows to touch more people and impact more lives. Last year, with the help of our generous sponsors, this event brought together 503 volunteers to complete 53 projects for homeowners and nonprofit agencies - which was an increase from 400 volunteers and 45 projects in 2016! We are looking forward to another impactful event for our community and we thank you for being involved. So, how does all this work?
For Project Applications:
- Homeowners apply for help with projects such as: painting, landscaping, outside repairs, hedge and tree trimming, raking, mulching, staining decks, building ramps, washing windows, and planting and moving flowers.
- A Day of Caring Committee Member reviews the application, conducts a pre-assessment, and reports finding to the rest of the committee, who then determines if we have the capacity and skill set to complete the project.
- Approved applicants will be notified, and an assessment will be conducted.
- The day of the event, homeowners welcome volunteers to their property to complete projects.
- To Apply for a project click here : Project Applications
For Volunteer Applications:
- A Team Leader assembles a group of volunteers from their workplace, church, or other organization and fills out one “Team Application.”
- Each volunteer on that team will need to fill out a Volunteer Waiver to participate
- Individuals interested in helping during out event fill out the “Individual Volunteer Application” and will be paired with other individual volunteers to complete projects.
- Individual volunteers also need to fill out a Volunteer Waiver to participate.
- To become a Team Leader or a Day of Caring Volunteer click here: Volunteer Applications
All applications are due to the office by Friday, May 11, 2018 at 5:00pm. Once applications have been reviewed and pre-assessments have been completed, our Day of Caring Committee will review all projects and accept or deny based on volunteer capacity and skill set. Then our Resource Coordinator, Brooke Wyant takes all projects and pairs them with volunteers who match the necessary skill set to complete the project.
Finally, Team Leaders contact their homeowners and set up assessment times for them to come, look at the tasks, and create a shopping list of materials. United Way staff, volunteers, and team captains spend time purchasing all materials and dropping them off to the homes prior to the event.
To become a 2018 Day of Caring Sponsor fill out this form:
2018 Day of Caring Sponsors:
Auburn American Legion Post #97